Move to Whangarei

About this image

The buzz at the Town Basin, Whangarei

If you’re skilled and looking to make a move to New Zealand, or if you are already living in New Zealand and looking for a better lifestyle in a subtropical climate, then come to Whangarei

Take the first step

New Zealand welcomes new migrants who contribute valuable skills and qualifications to the workforce, set up a business or make a financial investment.  

If you are looking to come to work in New Zealand, either short or long term, there is information about working, living and studying in New Zealand, and advice for new migrants at Immigration New Zealand and New Zealand Now. An immigration adviser may also be able to assist you. Take a look at the Immigration Advisers Authority for a list of licensed advisers.

When you arrive

Settling in to a new community can be a challenging process as there are a host of things that are new and lots of everyday issues to find out about. This website has all sorts of useful, local information including where to open a bank account, get a tax number and find a place to live, advice about healthcare  local schooling, rental accommodation, childcare or health services and much more.

The New Settlers’ Guide is a free booklet written for newcomers to Whangarei that provides you with valuable local information and advice.

More information about Whangarei

Whangarei District Council (WDC) is the local government body for the Whangarei District. Find information about land rates, parks, community safety and support, disability services and lots more.

Whangarei Migrant Centre is a one-stop-shop for migrants and newcomers and has been providing support and information to migrants since 2007.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) has a wealth of information about your rights, health support and services, finanace, education, clubs, legal issues and more.

Other support services

Language Line is a telephone interpreter service to help people who speak no or very little english. The service is free and offered in 44 languages. Phone 0800 656 656

Language Link is a multi-lingual language service - a telephone interpreting service - available at Citizens Advice Bureau and Settlement Support.

The Translation Service offers skilled translators who can translate any type of document from and/or into over 70 languages.

Government services

Department of Internal Affairs Te Tari Taiwhenua for information on becoming a New Zealand citizen

New Zealand Passports Te Mata Uruwhenua to apply for a New Zealand passport you must be a New Zealand citizen

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Manatu Aorere for a list of Embassies and Diplomat and Consular offices represented in New Zealand.

In New Zealand it is illegal to disrminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, sex, age, disability, religion or family status, and other things. If you feel you have been discriminated against contact the Human Rights Commission Te Kahui Tiki Tangata.

Consumer Affairs Manatu Kaihokohoko and the Commerce Commission Te Komihana Tauhokoko for information and assistance about your rights as a consumer.